Small and medium businesses including large enterprises are evolving rapidly leveraging Serverless computing. Even companies like Amazon, Google and Microsoft have dedicated branding for Serverless Computing, indicating this is the next big thing in the world of cloud computing.
But what exactly is Serverless Computing?
Serverless computing is a cloud-based service where a cloud provider manages the server. The cloud provider dynamically allots compute storage and resources as needed to execute each line of code. Importantly, Serverless computing is event-driven, meaning developers can create states as I/O requests that are received and then destroyed in compute instances. The process is 100% automated and does not require human interaction and maintenance the way a traditional server would need. This makes Serverless computing an efficient, affordable, and resource-effective way to build and use applications.
Amazon CTO Werner Vogels on Invent keynote, pressed about the trajectory of serverless computing, particularly with enterprises. He said..
“The whole notion of only having to build business logic and not think about anything else really drives the evolution of Serverless Computing.”
With the serverless computing model, organizations pay for the amount of time and memory an application’s code takes to perform the tasks it needs to. Amazon calls this measurement gigabyte-seconds.
Serverless computing services are available in two ways: Backend-as-a-Service (BaaS) and Function-as-a-Service (FaaS). Some providers offer database and storage services to customers or BaaS, while others offer functions without storing application data as the service.
There are many serverless providers in the market. However, here are the best companies in the market:
AWS: Athena, Lambda, Step Function, DynamoDB, Aurora, API Gateway, etc
Microsoft Azure: Azure Functions
GCP: Cloud Functions, App Engine, Cloud Run etc.
Now, we hope you understand the serverless concept. Let us understand how it is helping companies across the globe, below are the benefits.
Key business benefits of Serverless Computing:-
- Quick Deployment:- Adopting a serverless architecture removes a lot of complexity and delay and helps teams deploy products quickly.
- Easy Scalability:- The serverless model also boosts a company’s ability to quickly scale services. Because they’re not limited by server capacity and they can scale services up or down depending on business needs or ambitions.
- Greater Cost-efficiency:- As companies don’t have to pay for idle resources, teams can quickly adjust spending according to service needs.
- Improved Flexibility:- It’s easier to begin the implementation of an app serverless than it is with traditional methods. Because of that, going serverless means you can innovate faster as well, It’s also easier to pivot in situations where you need to restructure.
- Pay-as-you-go Model:- It means that the consumers are only going to be charged the number of times their piece of code runs on a serverless service.
Let’s understand how serverless computing can have an impact on business growth.
- With Serverless computing architecture, enterprises can enhance scalability, enable pay-per-use capabilities and lower costs.
- Serverless computing has capabilities to eliminate infrastructure management tasks, reduce operating system maintenance costs, and encourage capacity provisioning and patching. Besides, the rising focus of companies towards serverless infrastructure is likely to offer lucrative opportunities in the market.
- Help improve operations by decreasing downtime and increasing overall efficiency saving them time and money in the process.
- Serverless computing will allow your enterprise to embrace digital transformation and optimize the opportunities created by the modernization of the application and infrastructure stack that will usher in new modes of automation, management, DevOps, and security.
To sum up, Serverless Computing is the future of cloud computing. It provides the companies with the capability to be more agile, cost-effective and increase their overall operational efficiency. Serverless computing could be one of the most exciting developments of the 21st century. For those looking to build event-based apps quickly and efficiently, serverless computing is the way to conserve resources, increase efficiency, and boost productivity.
If this is the need of the hour for your business, we are here to help! Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you!